Friday, December 11, 2009

The Proof is in the Bloodwork

Everybody likes to have some sort of confirmation that what they are doing is right. The scale, the fat calipers, the way the clothes fit are all good, but they don't always tell the whole story. I've been doing this primal way of eating now for about six months, which does involve a lot of eggs. Before that, I was following more of a body builder diet which also included a bunch of eggs. My mother-in-law in her visits would often shake her head at the vast amount of cholesterol that I was eating. I read some studies that said eggs were good, but I'm sure there are just as many studies, probably funded by Egg Beaters, that say the opposite. The same goes for grains. Personally, I'm not getting my 7 recommended helpings daily, as the government's experts recommend based on a General Mills funded report. Actually, if I have one, I feel guilty.

So two weeks ago, I had my 5yr, checkup. The last one was at age 40 and I don't think I was really in that bad of shape ....yet. Here are the results, and I'll let them speak for themselves:

..........................Now........2004..........Excellent Range
Triglycerides:...49.............44.................<150
Cholesterol:......159...........183................120-200
HDL(good):.......58.............52..................40-60
LDL(bad):.........91..............122................0-130
Risk Factor:......2.74...........3.52...............0-4.98

As the Doctor said, "Keep doing what you're doing". I'll take that and run with it!

No comments: